Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Resting in Peace

Forest Hills Cemetery on the edges of Jamaica Plain in Boston has some esteemed "residents" and some fascinating sculptural monuments. I was first drawn here in search of e. e. cummings' grave. I've been there numerous times over the past ten years and this past summer was the first time I'd come across these monuments.


Two child-sized unmade beds with one pillow on the ground nearby, they are wonderfully detailed down to the dust ruffles, creases in the pillows and sheets.  Known for its art installations and exhibitions, I am not certain if these are actually headstones or part of a permanent installation.  They bear no reference to an individual or family.



As statuary go, they are unique and fascinating to me.  As a sign of the afterlife - well, I don't make my bed now, I am certainly not going to start making it after I die.  


3 comments:

  1. they look like above ground volts with no names

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were added in 2001. They are resting benches


    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I thought they were too small for vaults and more an art installation. Benches makes sense. Beautiful detail.

    ReplyDelete