Sunday, March 25, 2012

Lovewell (aka Nightingale) Cemetery

As I was speeding down Route 68 one day last week, going a little too fast and being tailgated by someone who wanted me to go faster, I spied a tiny cemetery off to my right.  I couldn't stop for fear of causing an accident so I made note to myself to look it up on the map when I got home.  The map said it was called "Nightingale Cemetery" which I thought sounded beautiful.   Just before going I was looking online at a list of cemeteries in Hubbardston and Nightingale was not listed.  Others were, including "Lovewell", which as it turns out, is the also known as for Nightingale Cemetery. 

I stopped a few days later.  The sign is gone, just two white posts standing near each other.  There is an aged white gate blocking entrance from vehicles since it is such a small cemetery and the typical New England stone wall around the edge.


The cemetery is inhabited by the Lovewells, Phillips, Freemans, Allens and others.  Even a couple of Underwoods (who are likely related to my earlier blog family, the Cobleighs).   There is the Deacon Allen family including his wife and his "consort".  Their daughters did not seem to live long, but their son lived to see 50.

The Lovewell Family Genealogy has been done extensively and there seems to be much online:  


"2. JOSEPH, born October 2, 1763; married in Templeton, April 10, 1796, Sarah Wilkinson, born, Needham, May 9, 1768, daughter of Ebenezer and Mary (Gay) Wilkinson. He removed to Hubbardston, Massachusetts. His descendants are numberous. He died November 21, 1814. She died August 29, 1847. Seven children."

What caught my eye about the Lovewell's was that the earliest stones in the burial ground were theirs and also the most recent from the later 20th Century.  I think that shows a strong connection running through the family that modern folks would want to be buried in an older (somewhat neglected) burial ground.  (It would be my choice, but then, I'm not so modern.)

Here are a few of the Lovewell Stones: 

Sarah Wilkenson, wife of Joseph Lovewell, 1767 to 1847

 Martha Lovewell, Died April 13, 1885, at the age of 63 years, 11 months and 7 days.
(every day important)

Joseph Lovewell, died Sept. 7, 1876  & his wife Jerusha, died Jan. 16, 1871  (both having lived into their seventies)

 Madeline Lovewell Freeman, daughter of Roger & Edith W. Lovewell, born Sept 3, 1926  (pre-need monument placement)

 Mildred Willis, daughter of Willis & Mattie Lovewell, died Feb. 8, 1971. (in keeping with the earlier tradition of counting days, she was 74 years, 9 days.


 The Lovewell family is primarily to the left side from front to back as you face the cemetery with some in the middle at the rear.  There are also some lovely slate stones here, with beautiful carvings and one in particular caught my eye.  Chandler Follett, died at the age of 20.  


His epitaph reads:  

"My very short and transcient stay
On Earth how soon it past away
My soul's Eternal fixed state
Is hid from you by solemn fate." 


Love well all.



3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! And thank you for the backstories, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeline Lovewell Freeman was actually born on this date and was still living at time this photo was taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see, it was a preneed. I will make the correction. Thank you for letting me know.

      Delete