Sunday, March 18, 2012

She Sits and She Waits

Generally it seems that when people invest in a headstone and really invest in statuary, it tends towards the saintly stuff - Jesus, Mary, Saints.  At St. Michaels Cemetery in Jamaica Plain (near Forest Hills - exit onto and cross WalkHill Street into St. Michaels) there is quite a large number of saints and angels. Many reaching to heaven, gazing at heaven, holding massive amounts of sorrow in their stone eyes.  And among them, this lovely woman:



 She sits, quite calm and patient, arms and legs crossed almost as she had when she sat waiting for the MBTA bus to come along.  In the winter someone embellishes her with a green wreath each year.   I would have to check my records, but I believe I've seen her with a rosary and also a wreath of flowers.  

What I like about her is she feels like someone I could sit with for a while and chat.  And even if her mind wandered a bit, I know she would listen like a kindly old aunt.  And had someone thought to make a place for them, she'd offer cookies and milk. 




No comments:

Post a Comment