Saturday, January 21, 2012

Snow Angels

(I know this is a departure from the purpose of my blog here - to share images and thoughts about stones. Please bear with me.)

I photograph a lot of angels in cemeteries, with or without wings.  Yesterday, I went out and made a less permanent angel of my own as a memorial to Sarah Burke, much decorated freestyle skier, who died at the age of 29 this week from injuries suffered while training on the "Super Pipe".  She lobbied successfully to get her sport into the Winter Olympics in 2014.  She'd fought through other injuries, but this one was too severe.  She was an advocate for female athletes, having had to compete initially herself against boys because there were no female competitions in her sport.  Her smile just lights up the space around her - you can see it in her photos. 

A snow angel as tribute seemed appropriate.


RIP Sarah Burke 1982 - 2012

I have, perhaps a morbid, curiosity about spontaneous roadside memorials.  This is the first time I've felt compelled to do something like it.  So perhaps now I understand the need.



No comments:

Post a Comment