Monday, September 14, 2020

Where Have I Been?

 I am returning to this blog from spending time on a corresponding social media page.  That social media site (whose name shall not be spoken)

is changing their format once again and I am tired of it so, that page will be closed and reopened here with photos, stories of my cemetery stalking, etc. 

After a couple injuries last year (one dislocated elbow - ow!  seriously! and one damaged knee) I am using cemeteries as many others are these days, for exercise as well as studying the stones, symbols and stories behind them.   With the vast number of cemeteries in my area it is very easy to select a rotating workout of 30 minutes in each, after which I permit myself to stroll with the camera and take pictures. 

Over the past few years there has been an evolution in my observations in cemeteries.  Basically, I go through phases.  Initially I was quite drawn to statuary.  Suddenly one day I noticed a "zinkie" and there was no turning back from that!  As always I am drawn to the early American slate stones prevalent in almost every little town cemetery here in Massachusetts.  Every so often I come upon a stone with an interesting story - such as the one of the woman who died from burns suffered in a fire.  She refused to leave her home until the last of her five children was saved.  By saving five children, imagine the generations after that she also saved and the possibilities of their individual achievements. 

Since I last wrote I believe I have had a couple computer crashes.  One of them lead me to reorganize all of my cemetery photos by state, town, cemetery and also a fun file of themes that I hope to share with you.  

I am remaining with a presence on Instagram as HeadstoneHaven.  Please feel free to follow me there for random photos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment